Scotland’s first cast iron bridge, completed in 1814 and designed by Thomas Telford. After taking local advice he sited it 5 feet (1.5 m) higher than originally he had planned. As a result, it was the only bridge to survive the Muckle Spate (great flood) of 1829, when the river rose by 17 feet (5 metres), flooding buildings, drowning animals and capsizing boats moored downstream. The bridge originally cost £8200 and was still carrying main road traffic 150 years later.
Telford Bridge, Craigellachie © Jacquetta Megarry